- Chill a martini glass or coupe.
- In a mixing glass, add ice, vodka, and dry vermouth.
- Stir rapidly to chill.
- Strain into chilled glass.
- Garnish with skewered olives.
Variations and Substitutions
The vodka martini doesn't have as wide a range of variations and substitutions as other cocktails, but there are still a few options to choose from.
- Some recipes call for a dash or two of orange bitters.
- Experiment with the vodka and dry vermouth proportions, increasing and decreasing the amounts but maintaining a 3 ounce total pour.
- Use different brands of vodka to find the one that's best for you. Distilling processes can change the profile and taste, ultimately altering the overall profile of the martini.
- Vary flavors by using infused vodkas.
A martini can have a range of garnishes. The only decision to make is which one is your favorite.
- Instead of regular olives, consider blue cheese stuffed olives.
- For a slight tart citrus note, use a lemon peel or wheel.
- If you want a more refreshing citrus note, consider an orange peel or wheel.
- A dehydrated citrus wheel, either a lemon, orange, or lime, adds a fashionable touch.
- Using a cocktail onion is an option; however, the martini then becomes a gibson.
About the Vodka Martini
Easily one of the oldest and most iconic cocktails, the vodka martini has just about always existed in the cocktail world. Although the original standard martini was first made with gin, today the vodka martini has quickly surpassed in popularity. Whether because some people don't like the juniper notes of gin or because the accessibility, range, and demand for vodka has skyrocketed over the years, the vodka martini has become the "It" martini.
As for the subject of whether a martini should be shaken or stirred, there's no right or wrong answer. It's a prevalent myth that liquor can be bruised or ruined by shaking it. Shaking simply dilutes and chills the martini more than stirring. So don't let anyone get you down based on how you want your martini prepared.
Shaken, Stirred, Gone
The vodka martini is one of the most personal drinks to enjoy, so however you prepare or order your martini, there's no improper way to sip this boozy drink. The most important part not up for debate might just be the chilled glass to keep the martini ice cold for as long as possible. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your day with a vodka martini in hand.