Whether you're reinventing a classic or creating your own cocktail, Malibu rum adds sweetness, complexity, and a taste of the tropics to your cocktails. It's a perennial, versatile favorite sure to please all kinds of cocktail lovers.
You wouldn't think basil, pineapple, and coconut rum would go together, but it makes a surprisingly flavorful cocktail. Basil is part of the mint family, which works well with pineapple and coconut rum. This twist on a mojito is refreshing and tasty. The recipe serves one.
- 3 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces coconut rum
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- Juice of one lime
- Pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry for garnish (optional)
- In a collins glass, muddle the basil leaves with the sugar.
- Add the coconut rum, pineapple juice, and lime juice.
- Add the ice.
- Garnish with the pineapple and cherry if desired.
Frozen Coco-Cantaloupe Daiquiri
Sweet, mellow cantaloupe blends well with the toasted coconut flavor in Malibu rum for a delicious frozen cocktail. It serves two.
- 3 ounces Malibu rum
- 3 cups frozen cantaloupe chunks (rind and seeds removed)
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- Juice of 1 lime
- Melon balls or chunks on skewers for garnish
- In a blender, combine the rum, cantaloupe chunks, simple syrup, and lime juice.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into old-fashioned glasses.
- Serve garnished with the melon balls.
Salty Dog on the Beach
What dog doesn't love a trip to the beach? When you add coconut to the salty dog cocktail, it brings a tropical punch to a sour and salty classic. Malibu rum brings balance and sweetness to grapefruit juice that's a beauty to behold. This serves one.
- Salt for rimming the glass
- Grapefruit wedge
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 ounces Malibu rum
- Run the grapefruit wedge around the edge of an old-fashioned glass and dip the glass in salt to rim it.
- Add ice to the glass.
- In a shaker with ice, shake the grapefruit juice and Malibu rum until chilled.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
Other Coconut Rum Cocktails
There are many coconut rum cocktails that allow you to enjoy the tropical flavors of Malibu rum.
- Enjoy a tropical blast with a red tropic tango.
- Try a green angel, which has Malibu and dark rum and a great green color.
- The tropic delight with Malibu rum, banana liqueur, and RumChata is like the tropics in a glass.
- Malibu rum makes a pina colada even more coconutty.
- Having a big party? Mix up a batch of fruity jungle juice with Malibu rum.
- If you like Jagermeister, mix it with some Malibu rum and other mixers and you have a tropical stag.
- Try a Malibu bay breeze with pineapple and cranberry juice.
- Enjoy a key lime martini with coconut rum.
A Taste of the Tropics
The next time you want a taste of the tropics, reach for a bottle of Malibu rum. It's sure to evoke the feeling of warm breezes, crashing waves, palm trees, and sand between your toes.