There are pleny of delicious drinks to make with Malibu rum. Whether you're reinventing a classic or creating your own cocktail, Malibu rum adds sweetness, complexity, and a coconut taste of the tropics to your mixed drinks. The trick lies in knowing what goes with Malibu and other types of coconut rum. Malibu rum is a perennial, versatile favorite sure to please all kinds of cocktail lovers.
Malibu Basil Mojito
You wouldn't think basil, pineapple, and coconut rum would go together, but it makes a surprisingly flavorful cocktail. Basil is part of the mint family, which works well with pineapple and coconut rum. This twist on a mojito is refreshing and tasty. The recipe serves one.
- 10 basil leaves
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces Malibu rum
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- Juice of one lime
- Club soda, chilled
- Pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry for garnish (optional)
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the basil leaves with the simple syrup.
- Add the pineapple juice, lime juice, and Malibu rum along with some ice.
- Shake well to blend and chill
- Strain into a collins glass half-filled with ice.
- Add the club soda to fill to the top of the glass. Stir.
- Garnish with the pineapple and cherry if desired.
Frozen Malibu-Cantaloupe Daiquiri
Sweet, mellow cantaloupe blends well with the toasted coconut flavor in Malibu rum for a delicious frozen cocktail. It serves two.
- 3 ounces Malibu rum
- 3 cups frozen cantaloupe chunks (rind and seeds removed)
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- Juice of 1 lime
- Melon balls or chunks on skewers for garnish
- In a blender, combine the rum, cantaloupe chunks, simple syrup, and lime juice.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into rocks glasses.
- Serve garnished with the melon balls.
Salty Dog on the Beach
What dog doesn't love a trip to the beach? When you add coconut to the salty dog cocktail, it brings a tropical punch to a sour and salty classic. Malibu rum brings balance and sweetness to grapefruit juice that's a beauty to behold. This serves one.
- Salt for rimming the glass
- Grapefruit wedge
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 ounces Malibu rum
- Run the grapefruit wedge around the edge of an old-fashioned glass and dip the glass in salt to rim it.
- Add ice to the glass.
- In a shaker with ice, shake the grapefruit juice and Malibu rum until chilled.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
Other Malibu Rum Cocktails
There are many coconut rum cocktails that allow you to enjoy the tropical flavors of Malibu rum.
Good Mixers for Malibu Rum
If you're wondering what to mix with Malibu rum and other types of coconut rum, there are plenty of good mixers. Because the Malibu rum itself is sweet, adding something acidic such as lime juice helps to balance the flavors. It also blends well with other tropical flavors, such as pineapple or mango, and herbs such as mint or basil add a nice counterpoint to the rum. Some popular Malibu rum mix-ins for cocktails include the following.
- Pineapple juice
- Tropical flavored vodkas, such as pineapple
- Lime, grapefruit, or orange juice
- Lemon-lime soda and a dash of grenadine
- Cranberry juice
- Ginger ale or ginger beer
A Taste of the Tropics
The next time you want a taste of the tropics, reach for a bottle of Malibu rum. It's sure to evoke the feeling of warm breezes, crashing waves, palm trees, and sand between your toes.