- In a blender, add half the ice along with the coconut rum, 1½ ounces of blue curaçao, and orange juice.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into cocktail glass.
- In a cleaned blender, add remaining ice along with vodka, peach liqueur, and cranberry juice.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into cocktail glass, creating a second layer.
- Top off with the remaining ½ ounce of blue curaçao.
Barney Drink Variations and Substitutions
The Barney cocktail needs that signature green and purple, but you can certainly play around with the flavors you use.
- For the purple layer, consider using grape vodka with grape liqueur.
- Instead of plain vodka, consider using vanilla, whipped cream, or even lemon vodka.
- You can easily use pineapple juice instead of orange juice.
- Swap the cranberry juice for cherry juice.
- Consider using tequila instead of coconut rum or vodka.
Garnishes for the Barney Cocktail
There's no garnish aside from a blue curaçao float, but don't let that stop you from tossing on a garnish or two.
- Give your drink a sugary garnish by rubbing the rim with a citrus wedge and dipping it into either a green or purple sugar.
- Keep it simple with a lime wheel, wedge, or slice.
- Drop a cherry on top or pierce the cherry with a cocktail skewer along with a lime garnish of your choice.
A Drunken Barney
There's something to be said about the drinks that spark the nostalgia from childhood. While the Barney cocktail may not have the flavors one might associate with the most famous purple dinosaur, there's no mistaking its appearance with the purple and green pairing. The drunken Barney would make for an excellent guest at any milestone birthday, a Halloween party, a night of stunning purple cocktails, or a fun 90s-themed party. On the other hand, sometimes being an unexpected guest at a regular gathering might be even better.
The Famous Purple Dinosaur
Embrace the work it takes to make a slushie drink, and your reward is not just a visually stunning and amusing cocktail, but one that tastes like a frozen and delicious punch. Pair the Barney drink with a few other 90s cocktails, or allow him to be the star of your gathering. Go ahead. This is your sign to once again hang out with Barney and friends.