Variations on the Bazooka Joe Shot
The Bazooka Joe shot requires a fairly exact list of ingredients, but there's still room to experiment.
- Use a fruity banana vodka for a boozier kick. You can buy it from the store or easily infuse your own banana flavor into vodka at home.
- Instead of plain Irish cream, use strawberries and cream for a fruitier bubble gum flavor.
- Although the proportions make this an easy-to-build and well-balanced cocktail, there's room to experiment with a quarter ounce more banana liqueur and a quarter ounce less Irish cream, for example.
- Layer the shot instead of shaking! Start by adding the banana liqueur to the shot glass. Follow this by pouring the Irish cream slowly down the back of a bar spoon to create a second layer, and finish by following the same step with the blue curaçao.
Garnishes for the Bazooka Joe Shot
Complete the look of your Bazooka Joe shot with any of these garnish suggestions, or use them as a jumping-off point for your own creation!
- Pierce a banana slice on a cocktail skewer, balancing it across the rim of the shot glass.
- Add a lemon or lime wheel or slice to the rim.
- Rub the rim with a lemon wedge and dip the rim in sugar for an even sweeter-tasting shot.
About the Bazooka Joe
Despite that blue appearance, this Bazooka Joe shot perfectly nails that sweet, pink gum. While the ingredients at first glance don't scream bubble gum, they create a one-of-a-kind shot together. The only downside to this shot is that, unlike the gum, the flavor is quite fleeting. But don't let that stop you from shaking up a little bit of nostalgia. Whether you're a child of the 50s or a 90s millennial, this shot will invoke childhood memories. It sure wouldn't go amiss with some retro 60s hippie fashion, at a theme party with a little 70s vinyl, some of that vintage 80s-styled jewelry, or even alongside a few other nostalgic 90s drinks.
Bazooka Joe: The Blue Shot
Some may be surprised to order this shot, anticipating a bright pink shot, only to find a beautifully blue shot awaiting them. More surprising yet -- it has that distinctive bubble gum flavor. Now that you're in on the secret, why not surprise your friends with this tricky yet delicious shot?