- In a rocks glass, muddle raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries with simple syrup.
- Add ice, rum, and lime juice.
- Stir to mix.
- Top off with club soda.
- Garnish with mint sprig.
Berry Mojito Variations and Substitutions
There are plenty of ways to muddle up a berry cocktail, from fresh berries to infused spirits and beyond.
- Try out different types of berries! Think about blueberries, cranberries, or boysenberries, too.
- Infuse your rum with a berry flavor. Start with a juicy raspberry or blackberry-infused rum so you won't always need fresh fruit on hand to make this mojito.
- Instead of white rum, use coconut rum to make this berry mojito even more sunshine in a glass.
- Consider a flavored simple syrup instead of plain. You can make a simple berry syrup or even a mint simple syrup.
- Add a little extra lime juice to cut through the sweeter flavors.
Garnishes for Your Berry Mojito
Keeping the muddled berries in a glass is a great place to start. However, this isn't your only option for a garnish.
- Pierce several raspberries, blackberries, or strawberry slices on a cocktail skewer. You can uniformly do these with just one type of berry or stack several different fruits together.
- Add mint leaves to the cocktail skewer, alternating berries with mint leaves.
- Strain your mojito before serving so that the garnish shines even more.
- Use a citrus garnish by adding a lime wheel or lime peel. A dehydrated lime wheel would set your berry mojito apart.
- Layer a dehydrated lime wheel with a dehydrated strawberry on a cocktail skewer. You can do this with a strained or unstrained mojito.
A Muddled History of the Berry Mojito
The mojito is no stranger to the world, let alone the cocktail world. While not the mojito as it is today, it was in the mid-1500s that the spirit of the mojito entered this realm. However, back then, imbibers didn't enjoy it for leisure but as medicine -- similar to the gin and tonic. Not until nearly 400 years later would the mojito become a staple cocktail in bars and in homes. From there, the mojito has spawned countless riffs, including the luscious berry mojito.
Make a Mixed Berry Mojito the Star of Your Summer
Few cocktails demand as much of your attention quite like the freshly muddled berry mojito. This cocktail is the perfect way to use up any fresh fruit before it goes bad or when you want to show off your berry abundance with a berry-licious mixed drink. Whatever the reason or occasion, the berry mojito is waiting for you.