- 1-2 lime wedges
- 4 blackberries
- 4 raspberries
- 2 ounces vodka
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- ¼ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Club soda to top off, optional
- Lime wheel, blackberry, and apricot slice for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle lime, blackberries, and raspberries with simple syrup.
- Add ice, vodka, and lemon juice.
- Shake to mix.
- Pour into highball glass, not straining.
- Top off with club soda, if desired.
- Garnish with lime wheel and blackberry.
Berry Smash Cocktail Variations and Substitutions
With a vast world of berry, liqueurs, and delicious combinations at your disposal, there are several ways to craft a berry smash cocktail.
- Skip the club soda to have a drink with more intense fruit flavors.
- Instead of vodka, you can also use tequila, rum, or even bourbon, depending on your preferred spirit.
- Cycle through different types of berries. Don't forget blueberries or strawberries easily mix with other berry flavors, too.
- Use honey or agave instead of simple syrup for a different touch of sweetness. You can also add a splash of elderflower liqueur to make your berry smash a full garden experience.
- Swap in a jam for fresh berries. Use half to a three-quarters ounces of up to two different jams. You can even think beyond a strawberry or raspberry jam with bumbleberry or grape.
- A splash of orange liqueur quickly brightens up the cocktail, as would extra lemon juice.
- Give it a little extra tartness by adding cranberry juice or using it in place of club soda.
Garnishes for Your Berry Smash
Any of these garnish alternatives will work beautifully if the muddled fruit and existing garnish aren't enough or you have a different vision.
- Pierce several berries together on a cocktail skewer. This garnish would look phenomenal with all the same berry or alternating with different berries.
- Focus on a citrus garnish to balance the sweetness of the cocktail by using lime, lemon, and orange together. You can use wheels, wedges, or slices.
- Give it an earthy spin by garnishing with a thyme, rosemary, or basil sprig.
- Brighten up the color of the cocktail with a citrus peel or ribbon.
The Path to a Berry Smash Drink
The berry smash cocktail is the antithesis of the minty mojito in the cocktail world. Whereas the mojito is all mint and herbaceous flavors, the berry smash is fruit and nectar. Infused vodkas, tequilas, and other spirits don't come close to the berry flavors that a fresh fruit has to offer, and it's nothing short of an alcoholic fruit cocktail in a glass. Of course, there's something to be said for the jammy flavors if you go that route. With none of the dilution and all of the concentrated flavors, it's a surefire way to get a full fruit serving in a berry smash if you only have one type of fresh berry on hand.
A Berry, Berry Smashingly Delicious Mixed Drink
Trample your frustrations or healthily expend your energy with a delicious berry smash cocktail as a result. Muddle or earnestly shake your way to a cocktail that will leave you convinced you can tell your friends you had a full serving of fruit.