- 1½ ounces citron vodka
- ¾ ounce blue curaçao
- ½ ounce white cranberry juice
- ¼ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- Lime wheel for garnish
- Chill a martini glass or coupe.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, citron vodka, blue curaçao, white cranberry juice, and lime juice.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into chilled glass.
- Garnish with lime wheel.
Blue Cosmo Variations and Substitutions
There's no need to stress if you're short an ingredient or if you want to get a little more creative with your blue cosmo.
- Consider a blueberry vodka with a blue or purple hue to use as a base. If you can't find any in the store, consider infusing your own blueberry vodka at home.
- Instead of blue curaçao, consider a blue raspberry liqueur for a sour and fruity blue cosmo.
- To ease back on the citrus flavors, use plain vodka or experiment with an infused vodka such as coconut or vanilla flavor.
- If you do want a bolder citrus flavor, use a lime or lemon vodka.
- To cut the sweetness, use a little less blue curaçao or add a bit more lime juice.
Blue Cosmo-Worthy Garnishes
A blue cosmo garnish can be extravagant, grand, or understated to allow the blue martini to shine. Which way will you go?
- Instead of a lime wheel, add an orange or lemon wheel. You can also consider using a citrus slice or wedge.
- Use a citrus peel, ribbon, or twist for a pop of color without as much citrus touch.
- Pierce three whole cranberries on a cocktail skewer.
- Carefully flame an orange, lemon, or lime peel.
About the Blue Cosmopolitan
The blue cosmo, sometimes referred to as a Tiffany Blue cosmo, doesn't have much of a backstory as it's never quite gained the same notoriety as its parent cocktail, the cosmopolitan. Although if Carrie had spent her New York City days drinking a blue cosmo, the tables of popularity might be turned.
Unlike many popular cocktails, the cosmo didn't come to be until the mid-1980s but quickly shot to popularity a little over ten years later-a pretty quick turnaround for such a new cocktail. From there, the pink martini lead to many spinoffs, including the blue cosmo.
Why Wouldn't You Want a Blue Cosmo?
Enjoy a new view with a beautiful blue cosmo. This bright blue beauty loses none of the tasty tart flavors. Instead, it emphasizes those perfect citrus notes while sparkling like a diamond. What more could you ask for? How about some more blue curacao drinks? Yes, please! Not drinking alcohol? Try a tasty cosmopolitan mocktail.