- 2 ounces coconut rum
- 1 ounce blue curaçao
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- Approximately two ounces lemon-lime soda to top off
- Orange slice and cherry for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, coconut rum, blue curaçao, and pineapple juice.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into hurricane or highball glass over fresh ice.
- Top off with lemon-lime soda.
- Garnish with orange slice and cherry.
Variations of the Blue Smurf
Honestly? There's something freeing and exciting about a cocktail that doesn't use a standard recipe. It means you have plenty of wiggle room to play around and experiment with the ingredients and not have anyone telling you that you've gone too far. Just don't lose the blue look!
- Is coconut rum or rum in general not for you? Vodka, coconut or otherwise, makes for a great substitution. You can use plain, vanilla, or lemon.
- Add up to an extra ounce of juice to your cocktail for a bigger bite of pineapple.
- If you really want the blue color to pop, add an extra half ounce of blue curaçao, or if you don't want the extra sugar, add up to three or four drops of blue food coloring.
- Lighten the calories or sugar content by using a plain or flavored club soda, such as lemon, lime, orange, or another fruit flavor.
Garnishing a Blue Smurf
Just because the recipe calls for an orange slice and cherry garnish doesn't mean that's the only garnish fitting for the blue smurf cocktail. Give these a try and see which ends up being your favorite.
- Finish your blue smurf drink with shredded coconut! You can dip the rim in a saucer with cream of coconut or honey, doing the entire rim or just a portion, and then dip it into a second saucer with the shredded coconut. If you're not into the rim, add a sprinkle of shredded coconut over the top of the drink.
- Add a slice of coconut to the original cherry and pineapple wedge garnish.
- Go for a citrus flair by using a lime, lemon, or orange wheel, wedge, or slice. Use those on their own or with the original garnish, too.
- Go big with the blue theme by garnishing with several pierced blueberries on a cocktail skewer.
The Blue Smurf Shot
You can take a trip to the Smurf Village with the electric smurf cocktail and book a ticket with the blue smurf shot.
- ½ ounce peach liqueur
- ½ ounce blue curaçao
- ¼ ounce pineapple juice
- ¾ ounce coconut rum
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, peach liqueur, blue curaçao, pineapple juice, and coconut rum.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into shot glass.
Become One With the Smurfs
Skip the blue body paint and take a sip of the electric blue smurf cocktail or shoot the smurf shot to get that blue feeling instead. Besides, blue curaçao won't leave your shower tub stained blue for far too long. Make the smart choice.