- 5-7 fresh mint leaves
- 8-10 fresh blueberries
- 2 ounces silver rum
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- Mint sprig, lime slice, and blueberry for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle mint leaves and blueberries with simple syrup.
- Add ice, silver rum, and lime juice.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with mint sprig, lime slice, and blueberry.
Variations and Substitutions
There's more than one way to muddle a blueberry cocktail! Consider a few of these alternatives.
- Make a large batch of blueberry-infused rum at home, so there's no need to clean up any mashed blueberry or clean them out of your strainer.
- Use lime cordial in place of lime juice.
- Punch up the blueberry flavors by using a blueberry simple syrup.
- Experiment with coconut rum to have an extra summery experience.
You already have a beautiful built-in garnish when you muddle fresh ingredients in a mojito. But it's understandable if you want to push the envelope a little more.
- Pierce several blueberries on a cocktail skewer; you can do this with a short skewer or one that's the height of the glass if you want a bigger garnish.
- Add a lime peel or ribbon for an extra touch of green with the mint sprig, or you can use it on its own.
- Play around with other berries as a garnish for a colorful look. Add blackberries, raspberries, or even strawberries to the garnish.
- Use a chocolate mint bouquet garnish for a unique and sweet floral aroma.
The Blueberry Mojito
The classic mojito is a Cuban cocktail. History tells that since the 1500s, the spirit of the mojito as it's known today captured the attention of the masses. A mere few centuries later, the mojito transformed from a simple mint, sugar, and rum to a full-blown popular modern cocktail. Today, there are several variations and riffs on the classic mojito, including the blueberry mojito and other berry mojitos.
A Cocktail Fit for Summer
On its own, the mojito is the ideal summer cocktail. With refreshing mint and the sunshine flavors of rum, you can't imagine the classic getting even better--that is, until the blueberry mojito storms into your life and captures your tastebuds' attention. Grab an extra pint or two of blueberries and show off your newly minted cocktail recipe on social media. No other cocktail could be so 'gram-worthy.