- 1½ ounces coconut rum
- ½ ounce cinnamon whiskey
- ¼ ounce mezcal
- Cola to top off
- Lime wedge for garnish
- In a rocks glass, add ice, coconut rum, cinnamon whiskey, and mezcal.
- Top off with cola.
- Stir to mix.
- Garnish with lime wedge.
Bonfire on the Beach Drink Variations and Substitutions
Explore different avenues that'll still arrive at the perfect smokey and summer cocktail.
- Instead of cinnamon whiskey, use an unflavored bourbon or rye whiskey in its place.
- If you want your cocktail to have a smokier feel, skip the cinnamon whiskey and use additional mezcal.
- Skip the whiskey altogether in favor of a summery pineapple-infused vodka or rum. Likewise, a vanilla vodka also adds a nice balance.
- Emphasize rum flavors by using spiced rum instead of whiskey and mezcal. A splash of overproof rum will add a strong bite to balance the sweeter flavors.
You won't find the bonfire on the beach cocktail listed on the official IBA cocktail list, so there are few rules for a garnish. While the lime wedge is the suggested garnish, you can opt for a lime slice if you prefer that look. If you want to go for a smokey-spiced vibe, add a whole cinnamon stick and toss in an orange wheel for a complete look. To make it a full-on fancy cocktail, rub the rim of the glass with a lime wedge and dip the rim in shredded coconut. So long as the garnish you want to add has a fruity or tropical feel, it shouldn't go amiss.
When you think of the beach, rum is probably the first spirit to come to mind. But you don't necessarily want to carry around several different juices, mixers, and one-off ingredients to enjoy a rum cocktail by a beachy bonfire. Or even when you just want to summon memories of a beachside bonfire. Enter the bonfire on the beach cocktail. This drink will bring the experience to you; no need to trek to the beach and fight the crowds for parking.
Suppose you do have the means to pack up juices. Then, you can craft a fruity version of the bonfire on the beach cocktail using pineapple juice and passionfruit juice instead of cola with pineapple rum and mango vodka. You can even complete the experience with a splash of grenadine on top. Hello, summer!
Enjoy the Bonfire on the Beach Cocktail
There's no wrong way to eat a particular candy, just like there's no wrong way, time, or place to enjoy a beachy cocktail. Enjoy the smokey notes of a bonfire on a beach cocktail for when you're swiping through memories or need a cocktail in a pinch for your own IRL bonfire.