- 1 ounce butterscotch liqueur
- ½ ounce Irish cream
- In a shot glass, add butterscotch liqueur.
- Layer Irish cream by carefully and slowly pouring down the back of a bar spoon.
Variations of the Butterball Shot
The butterball shot has a standard set of ingredients, but feel free to mix it up and try your own thing.
- Don't layer the ingredients; instead, toss both into a cocktail shaker and shake it up with ice before straining them into a shot glass.
- Use equal parts butterscotch and Irish cream liqueur, or play around with different ratios. Remember that too little butterscotch liqueur will result in the Irish cream sinking.
- For a slippery butterball shot, use sambuca instead of butterscotch liqueur.
- Mix equal parts of almond liqueur with the butterscotch liqueur before adding them to the shot glass.
Sweet, Buttery Garnishes
The butterball shot is more about the taste than how pretty it looks in an Insta photo, so it doesn't use a garnish, which is fairly common with shots. If you want to pretty it up so you can still have a Kodak moment, rub the rim of the glass with a lemon wedge and dip the rim into sugar for a sweeter, prettier shot. Or, if you're into caramel, you can dip the rim in caramel syrup or melted butterscotch candies to play up the caramel and butterscotch notes.
A Look at the Butterball Shot
The butterball shot is a familiar shot with a new name for a new millennium. Long known as the buttery nipple, the butterball saw a rebranding and renaming in recent years. The shot is a child of the 80s like the sex on the beach and the fuzzy navel. From there on, the shot spawned several riffs, including the slippery nipple, the brain hemorrhage, and the alien brain hemorrhage. For something a bit less chewy, the B-52 shot is also an efficient way to enjoy your Irish cream.
A Shot That's Easy to Take
Not all shots need to make you cringe or immediately chug a chaser to erase the memory and taste of what you just went through. The butterball shot is the answer when you're looking for a shot that goes down easy and doesn't cause you instant regret. It's a standout choice when you're taking your next shot. And if you love this shot, there are plenty of cocktails made with butterscotch schnapps you should try.