If you're looking for a cocktail with that little extra something, try making a firecracker. In fact, on the Fourth of July it may actually be your patriotic duty to make and share one of these cocktails with friends and family.
There are many variations of the firecracker, and this one is based on its fiery flavor and not its coloring. Strain it into a margarita or martini glass. It serves one.
- 2 to 3 chunks of seedless watermelon
- 3 ounces of rum
- 1 ounce of orange liqueur
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 ounce of simple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lime wedge
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the watermelon.
- Add the rum, orange liqueur, lime juice, simple syrup, cayenne pepper, and ice.
- Shake to chill. Strain into a martini of margarita glass. Garnish with the lime wedge.
Red, White, and Blue
While it's certainly a beverage for Independence Day, this red, white, and blue firecracker can work for any patriotic occasion, such as Memorial Day or other celebrations of America. The recipe makes one drink served in a collins glass.
- 1 ounce grenadine
- 1½ ounces blue curaçao
- 1½ ounces vodka
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- Maraschino cherry (optional garnish)
- Fill a collins glass ¾ full with ice. Pour in the grenadine.
- Carefully and slowly pour in the blue curaçao so it layers on top of the grenadine. You may need to pour it over the back of a spoon to get it to layer.
- In a cocktail shaker, shake more ice, the vodka, simple syrup, and lemon juice. Carefully pour on top of the blue curaçao, straining out the ice as you do.
- Garnish, if desired, with a cherry.
This version is a firecracker because it contains a lot of alcohol, including 151 rum and sloe gin. It makes one and is served in a collins glass.
- 2 ounces dark rum
- ½ ounce sloe gin
- Orange juice
- ½ ounce 151 rum
- Lime wedge
- Fill a collins glass half full with ice.
- Add the dark rum and slow gin and mix. Fill with orange juice.
- Add ½ ounce of 151 rum to the top. Garnish with the lime wedge.
Bring a Little Boom
These are three distinctly different cocktails all with the same name, but they all have one thing in common. Like their namesake, they bring a little boom to anyone who drinks them.