This is a layered, frozen drink, so you'll need to make layers separately.
Piña Colada Layer
- 1½ cups crushed ice
- ½ cup fresh or frozen, crushed pineapple
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces coconut cream
- 1½ ounce coconut rum
- 1 ounce dark rum
Strawberry Daiquiri Layer
- 1½ cups crushed ice
- 10 ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced (or ¾ cup frozen, sliced strawberries)
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¾ ounce triple sec or another orange liqueur
- 1½ ounces rum
- Make the piña colada layer by adding all ingredients to the blender and blending until smooth. Pour into a pictcher.
- Rinse the blender.
- Make the strawberry daiquiri layer by putting all ingredients into a blender and blending until smooth.
- Pour in alternating layers in a poco grande glass.
- Garnish as desired.
While there are no formal variations of this recipe, you can make several simple switches to create different versions of a Miami Vice cocktail.
- Omit rum in both blends to make virgin cocktails.
- Use 151 rum in place of white rum for stronger cocktails.
- Use spiced rum or a flavored rum, such as pineapple.
- Replace rum with an equal amount of tequila.
- Change the flavors in the daiquiri, such as using fresh or frozen raspberries, blackberries, melon, mango, or papaya. Don't omit the lime juice, however, because you need it to balance sweetness.
- Add a half banana to the daiquiri layer to add even more tropical flavor.
- Add ½ ounce blue curaçao to the piña colada layer to make it bright blue.
Garnish with a pineapple wedge or a strawberry (or both).
About the Miami Vice Drink
Named after the 80's cop drama, Miami Vice, this drink is a frozen blended cocktail made with rum from two popular summer drinks, the frozen strawberry daiquiri and the frozen piña colada. It is the perfect mixed drink for sipping in hot weather. The cocktail is sweet and refreshing with layers of red and cream color and complementary flavors of strawberries and coconut.
A Frozen Cocktail That's Perfect for Summer
This chilled, fruity drink is the perfect summer time umbrella drink. The next time you have a backyard barbecue on a sunny day, try serving a Miami Vice.