There are several ingredients you can use in cocktails that give them a red tint. Cranberry juice, pomegranate juice, and grenadine are among these, and you'll find them in a number of tasty red cocktails.
This cocktail takes a little prep; you need to make some rosemary simple syrup first, but it gives the cocktail a delicious herbal flavor that makes the few minutes of extra effort worthwhile. The recipe makes one cocktail.
For the Simple Syrup
Heat 1 cup each of water and sugar with three rosemary sprigs on medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Steep for 30 minutes, remove the rosemary, and cool the syrup completely. You can refrigerate or freeze leftover syrup in a tightly sealed container for up to one year.
- 2 ounces cranberry juice
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce rosemary simple syrup
- Soda water
- Rosemary sprig for garnish
- Cranberries for garnish
- Fill a collins glass with ice.
- Add the cranberry juice, lime juice, gin, and simple syrup. Add soda to top off the glass and stir.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and cranberries.
The rubytini is a semi-sweet martini that has a lovely red color with a nice hit of both sweet and sour. This makes one cocktail.
- 1 ounce ruby grapefruit juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce grenadine
- Twist of lime for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the pink grapefruit juice, lime juice, vodka, and grenadine.
- Shake to chill and strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with the twist.
Pom Berry Cocktail
This delicious cocktail features the flavors of pomegranate and dark berries along with a hint of acid from lime juice. It makes one cocktail.
- 2 ounces pomegranate juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 ounce Chambord liquer
- 2 dashes of cardamom bitters
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- Fill an old fashioned glass with ice.
- Add the pomegranate juice, lime juice, Chambord, cardamom bitters, and vodka. Stir to combine.
Red Hot Shot
If you love apples and cinnamon, then you'll love this red tinted shot. It makes two shots.
- 2 ounces Fireball whiskey
- 2 ounces apple flavored whiskey
- 4 drops red food coloring
- In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients. Shake to chill.
- Strain into two 2-ounce shot glasses.
Other Red Cocktails
Along with the original red cocktails above, you can find plenty of other cocktails with a lovely red hue.
Red Ingredients Make Great Cocktails
Using red ingredients from watermelon to berries and everything in between yields tasty, beautiful red cocktails. Use your imagination and find tasty red cocktails for every occasion.