While rum is well known for its use in fruity tropical cocktails, it also has flavor characteristics that allow it to blend well with different flavor profiles and ingredients. With a variety of rum types to choose from, this versatile cocktail ingredient is a must-have for any well-stocked bar.
Nectar of the Gods Martini
With the flavors of dark rum, orgeat (almond), and apricot, there's nothing else to call this martini but simply delicious. It makes one martini.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the rum, orgeat syrup, apricot nectar, lemon juice, and ice. Shake to chill.
- Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with the lemon slice.
This bright green cocktail combines two types of rum, Malibu and dark rum, with melon liqueur and orange juice for a balanced and delicious libation. It makes one cocktail.
- 1 ounce Midori melon liqueur
- 1 ounce Malibu rum
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
- Soda water
- Orange twist
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the Midori, Malibu rum, dark rum, and orange juice.
- Add ice and shake.
- Strain into a collins glass filled with ice.
- Add the soda water to fill the glass. Stir.
- Finish with an orange twist.
Bananas Foster Cocktail
If you love sweet and creamy drinks that are more dessert than cocktail then this one's for you. With sweet bananas, fragrant cinnamon, and creamy RumChata, this drink is the perfect après meal cocktail. It makes one cocktail.
- 1 ounce RumChata
- 1 ounce rum
- ½ ounce banana liqueur
- ½ ounce butterscotch liqueur
- Banana slices
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the RumChata, rum, banana liqueur, butterscotch liqueur, and ice.
- Shake to chill and strain into a rocks glass.
- Garnish with the banana slices and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Got a kitchen blow-torch? Add some extra flare by sprinkling a teaspoon of sugar over the banana slices (before you put them in the drink), and using the blowtorch to brûlée the tops of the bananas.
Other Rum Cocktails
Try these other rum cocktails as well.
Versatile Rum Cocktails
Rum is such a versatile ingredient, it's a great cocktail starter. With some imagination, some great recipes, and a cocktail shaker, the sky's the limit.