It is surprising how little known the snakebite cocktail seems to be when it is so simple to make. Just be aware that, as the name states, the drink does have some serious bite. All of the variations are quite high in alcohol content.
The Traditional Snakebite
This drink has only two ingredients.
- Add both ingredients to a shaker with ice.
- Shake for approximately 10 seconds, until well mixed.
- Strain the drink into a shot glass.
When someone orders a snakebite, they may actually be interested in one of the following variations, which share little but a similar name with the original recipe.
This drink tastes more like a fruity cocktail than like a hard-hitting shot, although it is actually both.
- 1/4 ounce almond liqueur, such as Amaretto
- 1/4 ounce Canadian whiskey, such as Yukon Jack
- 1/4 ounce coconut rum
- 1/4 ounce peach liqueur
- 1/4 ounce cherry liqueur, such as Southern Comfort
- 1/4 ounce orange liqueur or triple sec
- 1/4 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- Add all of the alcoholic ingredients to a shaker with ice.
- Shake for 10 seconds and strain into an old-fashioned glass.
- Add the pineapple juice on top.
The British Snakebite
Anyone can make this drink, even with no cocktail experience. It does not require a shaker or ice, just a simple pint glass.
- Fill half the glass with any dry cider.
- Fill the remainder of the glass with any dark beer (lager or stout).
- Drink and enjoy
If you'd like your drink to have a layered look to it, cover the top of the glass with a spoon, the back facing upwards. Then pour the beer down the spoon so it goes to the sides instead of in the middle of the glass. The thicker the beer you use, the better the layers will be. Guinness Stout is a great choice.
The Blackcurrant Snakebite
This drink is the same as the British Snakebite, with the addition of 1/2 ounce blackcurrant syrup on top. Again, you can use the spoon method to layer it.
A Drink With Bite
Some establishments refuse to serve any of the snakebite cocktails because they are too hard-hitting. Keep this in mind before having your heart set on one during an evening out.