- To prepare rim, dip the rim of the martini glass or coupe on a saucer with caramel.
- With the cinnamon sugar on a saucer, dip either half or the entire rim of the glass in the cinnamon sugar to coat.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, eggnog, almond liqueur, and vanilla vodka.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into prepared glass.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
Variations and Substitutions
The eggnog martini has room for experimentation and playing around. So long as only one ingredient is altered at a time, you'll always end up with a delicious eggnog martini.
- Add a dash of cinnamon simple syrup.
- Instead of almond liqueur, use hazelnut liqueur.
- Use caramel vodka for a sweeter taste.
- Use a hint of allspice dram for a spiced profile.
- Instead of vodka, use spiced rum or dark rum.
The garnish for an eggnog martini can be as crafty or simple as you wish. It all depends on the mood you want with your cocktail.
- Skip the caramel and cinnamon sugar rim if you don't want a sweet taste.
- Use a sprinkle of ground nutmeg.
- Char a cinnamon stick for a richer garnish.
- Add whipped cream.
- Swirl the inside of the glass with caramel.
About the Eggnog Martini
Eggnog variations have been around since the 1800s, or at least that's when the various types of recipes were first recorded. The drink itself had been around long before that. It is most likely derived from a British drink called posset, a creamy ale-like drink monks drank during the Middle Ages. Today, you can make eggnog from scratch or conveniently purchase it at the store. Eggnog is served warm or cool, in mugs or glasses, or self-serve from a punch bowl. Where the eggnog martini differs is it's usually prepared in a single-serving, but you can shake several at once.
Not Just for Caroling
The eggnog martini is more than just another way to enjoy eggnog. It adds a new level to this familiar drink, it doesn't hurt that it's a little more spirit-forward than is traditionally served. Next time the eggnog is being passed around, impress everyone with this upgrade.