- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¾ ounce guava nectar
- ½ ounce orange-flavored liqueur
- 1½ ounces tequila
- Dehydrated orange wheel for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the lime juice, guava nectar, orange liqueur, and tequila.
- Add ice and shake to chill.
- Strain into a margarita or rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a dehydrated orange wheel.
It's a luscious cocktail on its own, but you can shake up your guava margarita ingredients for even more flavor.
- Substitute POG (passionfruit-orange-guava juice) for the guava nectar for a tropical delight.
- Make a spicy guava margarita by muddling 2-3 slices of jalapeño with a splash of the orange liqueur before adding all the ingredients.
- Replace the orange liqueur with ½ ounce of agave nectar or honey.
- Omit the liqueur altogether for a tarter drink.
- Add a hint of smoky flavors by replacing the tequila with mezcal.
- If rum is more your thing, then replace the tequila with some. It becomes a daiquiri, but whatever you call it, it's still delicious.
The dehydrated orange wheel makes a lovely garnish, but if you don't have one, don't worry. Try one of these instead:
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
- Rim the glass with a 1:1 mixture of sugar and salt (run a lime wedge around the rim to wet it and then dip it in the mixture).
- Rim the glass with tajin or chili powder.
- Garnish with a slice of guava.
- Garnish with a mint sprig.
- Garnish with a fresh or dried hibiscus flower.
About the Guava Margarita
There's a saying in the culinary world--"If it grows together, it goes together." That's certainly true of guava and tequila, as the fruit is native to many tropical climates, including Mexico, and tequila is one of Mexico's native spirits.
The guava margarita has a lovely blush color thanks to the vibrant pink fruit. If you've never had guava before, it has a subtle and sweet flavor that adds a slight floral note to your drink; it's neither too sweet nor too sour, so it's a perfect add-in to a classic margarita. Guava is a great way to add tropical notes to a margarita to make it something truly special.
Guava Nice Day!
Picture it--summer sunshine, a tropical Mexican beach, and your toes in the sand. Now, put a delightful, well-balanced pink guava margarita in your hand. It's the perfect recipe for a very nice day indeed.