- In a cocktail shaker, combine the lime juice, pomegranate juice, orange liqueur, and tequila.
- Add ice and shake to chill.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a lime wheel, pomegranate seeds, and a mint sprig.
Substitutions and Variations
The tart, juicy pomegranate margarita is delicious just as it is. But that doesn't mean you can't mix it up with different flavors. Try these variations and substitutions.
- Muddle a sprig of rosemary with the orange liqueur before adding other ingredients and shaking the drink.
- Muddle a sprig of rosemary and an orange wedge with the orange liqueur before adding other ingredients and shaking the drink.
- Add ½ ounce of allspice dram to the cocktail for a hint of spice.
- Replace the orange liqueur with ½ ounce of ginger-infused simple syrup. Mix the drink, and then float ½ ounce of Grand Marnier on top of the cocktail.
- Replace the pomegranate juice with an ounce of pomegranate liqueur for a stronger, sweeter drink.
The simple, elegant garnish of a few pom seeds, lime, and a mint sprig makes for a visually appealing mixed drink. However, you also can go minimalist or over-the-top on your garnishes.
- Rim the glass with salt, sugar, a mixture of sugar and salt, or a mixture of sugar, rosemary, and salt.
- Garnish with crystallized ginger.
- A rosemary sprig garnish is perfect if you're serving these margaritas for the holidays.
- Garnish with an edible flower blossom.
- Pump up the orange flavors by garnishing with an orange peel.
About the Pomegranate Margarita
Pomegranate has a distinctly Mediterranean flare (they're mostly grown in the Med region and Middle East), and it also has an affinity for orange. So when you mix it with tempting Mexican flavors like the tequila, lime, and orange notes found in a classic margarita, it all comes together magically in a way that makes a ton of sense. It's Mediterranean-Mexican fusion at its finest! When you make these deliciosos cocktails, you can have a whole Med-Mex theme night and serve your pomeritas with fish tacos with pomegranate salsa.
Rich, tart, sweet, fruity, balanced, and strong...those are the flavors you'll experience when you sip a pomegranate margarita. It makes a bold, fruit-forward cocktail that goes down easily and leaves you clamoring for more.