- To prepare rim, rub the rim of the rocks glass with the lime wedge.
- With the salt on a saucer, dip either half or the entire rim of the glass in the salt to coat.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and agave nectar.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into prepared glass.
- Garnish with lime wheel.
Variations and Substitutions
There's no standard or set recipe for the skinny margarita. This means there's an extensive list of opportunities for variations and substitutions when you build your skinny margarita.
- Skip the agave for no added sweetness.
- Use a small splash of simple syrup or honey instead of agave.
- Orange liqueur can be used in place of orange juice and agave.
- Use light agave nectar or create a lighter version by mixing equal parts with water in a small saucepan over medium heat, until the agave and water have combined.
- Adding a half-ounce or so of freshly squeezed lemon juice brightens up the margarita without any added sugar.
- For a truly slim margarita, use just tequila, lime juice, and orange juice.
- Top off the margarita with a splash of plain or lime club soda.
The skinny margarita garnish can be easily customized or modified to make the ideal drink.
- Skip or use a smaller portion of the rim if you don't want a salty flavor. Definitely skip the sugar rim altogether on a skinny margarita.
- Use a lime slice or wedge instead of the wheel.
- An orange wheel adds a juicier citrus flavor rather than sour. Consider using a wheel, wedge, or slice.
- A lemon wedge, wheel, or slice adds a bright and tart citrus note.
- If you want a more subtle citrus touch, consider a citrus peel or twist, either lime, lemon, or orange.
- A dehydrated citrus wheel of any type gives the cocktail a striking look.
About the Skinny Margarita
Bartenders have been shaking up margaritas for nearly 100 years, with the most notable rise during the Prohibition era when Americans would hop over the border to Mexico in search of liquor, making it one of the most easily accessible spirits during that dry, dark time. When health began to take an important part in American dialogue, both in marketing and daily life, the skinny margarita began to make an appearance, as healthy choices began to gain importance in day-to-day life.
Skinny margaritas began to boom as drinkers began watching their waistlines and grew further as people began searching for cocktails with only a handful of ingredients, keeping the cocktail building process and ingredient list to a minimum. The slimmest of skinny margaritas, consisting of just tequila and lime juice, soon rose to prominence thanks to this popular interest.
Slimming Down Without Losing Out
The skinny margarita minimizes calories but not flavor. It maintains the tequila, citrus lime, citrus orange, and slightly sweet notes without all the additives. With all of these incredible flavors in an easy recipe, if you're looking for a drink that won't weigh you down, the skinny margarita won't disappoint.