- Lime wedge
- ½ teaspoon tajin + ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 jalapeño slices
- ¾ ounce agave syrup
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1½ ounces tequila
- Run the lime wedge along one side of the edge of a rocks glass. Save the wedge for garnish.
- On a small plate, mix the tajin and salt. Dip the wetted edge of the glass into the mixture.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the jalapeño slices with the agave syrup.
- Add the lime juice, pineapple juice, and tequila.
- Add ice and shake to chill.
- Strain into the prepared rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with the lime wedge.
Perhaps the biggest variation for this drink is controlling the heat level by adding more or less jalapeño slices and seeds. The heat in jalapeños is primarily in the seeds, so include more for a spicier drink. Other variations:
- Muddle a few cilantro leaves with the jalapeño slices and agave.
- For a more pronounced pineapple flavor, muddle a few chunks of fresh pineapple with the agave and jalapeño.
- Add a few dashes of mole or habanero bitters.
- On the chili pepper heat index, jalapeños aren't super spicy. If you really want some heat, consider adding hotter chilies, such as a habanero. Do this judiciously--you'll probably want to add fewer/smaller slices and fewer seeds.
- Replace the tequila with smoked pineapple tequila for smoky flavors and a more pronounced taste of pineapple.
- For a smokier drink, you can also replace the tequila with mezcal.
- Replace agave syrup with orange-flavored liqueur.
Salt or sugar on the rim can help to cut the heat for this spicy drink. You can even add a combination of sugar and salt or sugar, salt, and tajin. You can also try:
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge.
- Garnish with a pineapple leaf.
- Garnish with a jalapeño slice or even a whole jalapeño on a skewer.
About the Pineapple Jalapeño Margarita
This margarita takes the flavors of a traditional margarita and pumps them up with the tropical kick of pineapple and the peppery bite of jalapeños. The combination of sweet, spicy, tart, and strong make for a compelling drink that is growing in popularity among modern mixologists and the patrons who love their drinks.
Gettin' Jalapeño Business
If you love the classic margarita but are seeking a slightly more caliente experience, then the pineapple jalapeño margarita is one to try. With a balance of sweet and heat, this margarita is a true treat for the senses.