- 1½ ounces white rum
- ¾ ounce watermelon juice
- ½ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ ounce simple syrup
- Watermelon wedge for garnish
- Chill a martini glass or coupe.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, white rum, watermelon juice, lime juice, and simple syrup.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into chilled glass.
- Garnish with watermelon wedge.
Variations and Substitutions
Whether you can't locate a specific ingredient or you're curious about some options, these are an excellent place to start.
- Use watermelon simple syrup instead of regular simple syrup.
- Switch out the lime juice in favor of lemon juice for a brighter citrus note.
- Add extra simple syrup for a sweeter flavor.
- Extra citrus juice creates a tarter daiquiri.
Just because the recipe calls for a watermelon wedge doesn't mean you need to listen.
- A lime wedge, wheel, and slice give a stronger citrus touch.
- Using a lime peel, twist, or ribbon gives a pop of color without as much citrus.
- Likewise, a lemon can be used as a garnish to give a brighter and more tart touch, while an orange gives a sweeter citrus touch.
- Piece several small watermelon pieces on a skewer.
- Combine different garnishes to create one unique to you.
About the Watermelon Daiquiri
The daiquiri has picked up a weird, misguided reputation through the years. What was once a tart cocktail with a rum base morphed into a syrupy cocktail, often served frozen with just a touch of what it once was. However, the watermelon daiquiri preserves the heart and soul of the classic daiquiri- but with that splash of summery watermelon.
Today, it has never been easier to squeeze a watermelon into a martini glass. If you want to skip an extra trip to the store, it's easy to add your own flavors. You can blend watermelon pieces to make a puree or strain the puree to have watermelon juice. There's more than one way to dice, or consume, a watermelon.
Water Your Daiquiri Garden
There's more to the daiquiri world than strawberry and banana. Watermelon is an often overlooked daiquiri flavor, but no more. After you have just one, you'll be ready to show your friends your new magic trick.