- Lime wedge plus coarse salt for garnish
- 1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- ½ cup crushed ice
- Fresh blueberries for garnish
- Run the lime wedge around the rim of a rocks glass and dip the glass in the salt to rim. Reserve the lime wedge for garnish if desired.
- In a blender, combine the blueberries, lime juice, triple sec, tequila
- Pour into the prepared rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
- Skewer three to four fresh blueberries on a cocktail pick and garnish.
Variations and Substitutions
This blueberry margarita is sweet, tart, and totally tasty. However, you can mix it up a little with some simple substitutions:
- Replace the blueberries with mixed berries.
- Replace ½ an ounce of the triple sec with ½ ounce of ginger simple syrup.
- Replace the triple sec with agave syrup.
- Replace ½ pint of the blueberries with cubed mango.
- Replace the blanco tequila with cinnamon flavored tequila.
Three blueberries on a skewer along with a salted rim makes a lovely and simple garnish. You can also garnish with the lime wedge you ran around the rim.
About the Blueberry Margarita
The blueberry margarita is a frozen, blended drink because when you muddle blueberries, you aren't going to get enough flavor or color from them once the drink is strained. However, you can make a blueberry margarita on the rocks by omitting the fresh or frozen blueberries and adding ½ ounce of blueberry liqueur and an additional ½ ounce of freshly squeezed lime juice. Shake it in a cocktail shaker with ice and strain over fresh ice. It's an equally delicious margarita that you can sip without a freeze headache if you drink it quickly.
A Pick-Me-Up When You're Feeling Blue
Feeling sad? Or just a little blue? It's pretty hard to be down with a blueberry margarita in your hand. With the mellow, sweet flavor of blueberries, you'll get an instant mood boost.